Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installing DirectX? Version 9?

Hi Guys,

Again, I''m new here so I don''t know whether this is the right place to ask this (most likely amateur) question.

I''m trying to mod Morrowind specifically, and a couple major mods require DirectX 9.

Can I install direct X via porting key?

or would I have to get crossover and go that route?

Thanks so much for your help!!

[quote author=Enzic link=topic=647.msg2098#msg2098 date=1489980666]
Hi Guys,

Again, I''m new here so I don''t know whether this is the right place to ask this (most likely amateur) question.
[/quote]

Don''t worry, this is the right place to ask Wink

[quote author=Enzic link=topic=647.msg2098#msg2098 date=1489980666]
I''m trying to mod Morrowind specifically, and a couple major mods require DirectX 9.

Can I install direct X via porting key?

or would I have to get crossover and go that route?
[/quote]

Most probably, the actual Wine implementation of DirectX in the port should be enough to make Morrowind run, so firstly I recommend you to try the mods directly, without changing anything in the port.

In case that don''t work, here is how you do it: right-click the game in PK and go to Wineskin Tools -> Launch Wineskin. A new window will appear. Now go to Advanced -> Tools -> Install Winetrick. In the other window that will appear you will be able to install winetricks, which are the equivalents to Windows''s dependencies like DirectX. Here there are three possibilities of winetricks that should work for you (in case one of them don''t work, you will have to remove the port and create it again to try the new one):
- d3dx9_36
- d3dx9
- directx9

In case none of them works, let we know which is the mod. Someone else might have used it in the Morrowind port already and may know how to install it.

Thank you so much for the prompt and informative response! I''ll let you know how it goes!

Hi Vitor,

This is probably a very naive question but when you say: "in case one of them don''t work, you will have to remove the port and create it again to try the new one" -- what do you mean by "remove the port and create it again"? Do you mean reinstalling the entire game? Or uninstalling that particular winetrick? If it means uninstalling the winetrick, how do I do that exactly?

The mod I''m trying to get working is called Morrowind Graphics Extender XE or MGE XE for short. I tried running it without any additional installations and it didn''t work. Then I installed d3dx9_36 and that still doesn''t seem to work.

So I''d like to try the other ones.

Apologies for the delayed response. I don''t usually expect to receive a quick response on any forum (I know you guys do this pro bono!). I will try to respond within by the next day at the latest for all future posts.

[quote author=Enzic link=topic=647.msg2187#msg2187 date=1490494014]
This is probably a very naive question but when you say: "in case one of them don''t work, you will have to remove the port and create it again to try the new one" -- what do you mean by "remove the port and create it again"? Do you mean reinstalling the entire game? Or uninstalling that particular winetrick? If it means uninstalling the winetrick, how do I do that exactly?
[/quote]

Reinstalling the entire game.

The mod I''m trying to get working is called Morrowind Graphics Extender XE or MGE XE for short. I tried running it without any additional installations and it didn''t work. Then I installed d3dx9_36 and that still doesn''t seem to work.

So I''d like to try the other ones.
[/quote]

Ok, try d3dx9 now. If it still don''t work, make a Debug log just in case.

Apologies for the delayed response. I don''t usually expect to receive a quick response on any forum (I know you guys do this pro bono!). I will try to respond within by the next day at the latest for all future posts.
[/quote]

Ok then, we will be waiting ;D However, be warned that not always we are able to give a prompt response; it depends of our free time during the week.

Ok! I''ll reinstall the game and see how that goes.

No worries regarding the response time! The same is true for me as well.

I think Porting Kit is fantastic, by the way - you guys have obviously put in a tremendous amount of work making this available to the public, and the support you provide is wonderful!

Old topic but...

What was the result for getting the script extender to work. I am having issues running this as well. Here is my debug up to following to this point.

[quote author=Fyrus link=topic=647.msg3374#msg3374 date=1526676623]
Old topic but...

What was the result for getting the script extender to work. I am having issues running this as well. Here is my debug up to following to this point.
[/quote]

Didn''t you managed to install it?
http://portingkit.com/smf/index.php?topi...05#msg3305

This thread is for Morrowind. I got SKSE running for Skryim though.