Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't update OSX to High Sierra yet!

As you may have read: This post on the blog: https://www.paulthetall.com/high-sierra-yes-no/

High Sierra is available in the app store!! Many people are updating their OSX now to the latest High Sierra one. Is the new OS good news for Porting Kit?
A clear answer for now: Please wait until we tested it completely. At least if you still want to play your games. Why? It seems that it works fine with a SSD Mac with High Sierra, but brought massive issues on a normal SATA HDD drive for Wineskin, and thus also for Porting Kit. Winetricks were failing and port creation. It may be the specific beta build of High Sierra I used, but we aren’t sure until we check the final version.

In short, don’t upgrade until you hear a green light from here! We keep you guys posted….

Ok, we released an update of Porting Kit that should solve all the High Sierra Issues. However we don’t know the effect for every game specificly. Anyways, so far so good...

Hi Paul,

Dune 2000 doesn''t work on High Sierra on a MacBook. How can I solve this?

Many thanks

[quote author=Benoit link=topic=843.msg2898#msg2898 date=1512306158]
Hi Paul,

Dune 2000 doesn''t work on High Sierra on a MacBook. How can I solve this?

Many thanks
[/quote]

Which problem are you having with the port exactly?

Hi sir. I used porting kit to update wrappers but when updating, application stops responding. Any help?

[quote author=JohnC. link=topic=843.msg2970#msg2970 date=1514277235]
Hi sir. I used porting kit to update wrappers but when updating, application stops responding. Any help?
[/quote]

The Porting Kit has an automated method to update ports, but not always it works. Those freezes are known, but we couldn''t fix them yet.

Quoting my manual instructions from the Porting Team:

Quote:For ports that use Wineskin Engines:
- Update the wrapper through the Wineskin.app
- Change the engine through the Wineskin.app to the same engine that you are using

For ports that use Custom Engines:
- Update the wrapper through the Wineskin.app
- Run through the terminal: "<YOUR_WRAPPER_LOCATION>/Contents/MacOS/WineskinLauncher WSS-InstallICE"
- Refresh the wrapper through the Wineskin.app

Note: MacDriver ports should be renamed before the last step in both instructions, and can only be renamed back after the last step. DLLs overrides will be removed in all the cases.

Reference:
http://portingteam.com/frontpage/_/news/...mac-os-r56

Still, remember that this method does not keep some Wine registries, like the DLL overrides, and so, the port may stop working after the update due to that. However, that method is not known to freeze, so you may have more luck with it Smile