Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anno 1404 crashing after 15 min or so (Solved)

Howdy all! This is absolutely great!

I installed and launched the game on my macbook pro retina (2008) latest OS. After 15 min or sometimes (not always) during autosave (tried turning autosave off and it still crashed) the game would crash back to the desktop.

I am wondering if I did something wrong during the install (from an iso file).

Anyone run into this issue?

Thanks tons in advance! Smile
H

I''m not sure because that''s a Paul''s Port, but this port uses Steam?

For me, Anno 1404 also crashes after a certain amount of time.

When I was playing the campaign, it crashed after half an hour at first.

Then I lowered the graphics bit by bit and that seemed to increase the time before a crash to 1hr-2hrs depending on the mission. So this must be a memory issue. Lowering texture quality from high to medium seemed to have the biggest impact on this time increase. Funnily enough, the game still looks great and barely any different at all on medium textures. I also toned down particles to medium, and turned off aniso completely.

However, in the elector scenario that I''m currently playing it has not crashed a single time for me, even when playing 2 hours straight. (I find it hilarious that the game actually notifies you when you have been playing for two hours)

So it has to do with (graphic?) memory, map size, objects on the map and graphic settings have an impact on the time before it runs out of memory.

Some of my specs:
Mbp retina Early 2013

2.4ghz intel core i7
8gb ram
nvidia 650M 1gb vram

Yep Looks like it. The current wine engine may contain some memory leaks which causes it. You also might try newer wine engines and see if it improves the durability

you can do it doing the folowing steps:
1. Download Winery from wineskin website
2. Update it and download some newer Wine Engines
3. The rightclick game in the local game library —> properties
4. Then in wineskin click advanced —> tools —> change engine
5. Change engine to one of the downloaded onces
6. Click play again in local library and see if it works better in higher settings
7. When not satiesfied change to another engine to test.

Let me know the results, if you find better engine I can change it on the server for benefit for all.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I tried to download new engines with no luck Sad I tried a couple of engines. Some crash more frequently.

Being so enthrawled in the game and forgetting to save is a time sink since you lose everything.

If anyone has a fix please let us know. It really is hard playing the game with so many crashes.

Thanks all!
H

Anyone?
:''( :''( :''( :''( :''( :''( :''( :''( :''(

[quote author=HtotheK link=topic=19.msg78#msg78 date=1434064553]
Anyone?
:''( :''( :''( :''( :''( :''( :''( :''( :''(
[/quote]

The only fix until now seems to be the one that you said: low the graphics until it works fine :-\

This is becoming a problem for me now too. Especially in the late game, when there is tons of stuff on the map. Then it can already crash after 15 mins.

Tried only a couple engines, both made it worse. The current and default engine that I''ve been using is WS9WineCX13.2.0 . I tried 14.0.0, but as I said that didn''t make it any better. If anyone finds one that performs better please let us know by posting in this thread.

So are there any other improvements that can be made? Like running in a different mode or forcing directx? Or winetricks or whatever those are called...

Also: where can I find the log file after it crashed?

[quote author=Stonelord Woodsman link=topic=19.msg108#msg108 date=1435776066]
This is becoming a problem for me now too. Especially in the late game, when there is tons of stuff on the map. Then it can already crash after 15 mins.

Tried only a couple engines, both made it worse. The current and default engine that I''ve been using is WS9WineCX13.2.0 . I tried 14.0.0, but as I said that didn''t make it any better. If anyone finds one that performs better please let us know by posting in this thread.

So are there any other improvements that can be made? Like running in a different mode or forcing directx? Or winetricks or whatever those are called...

Also: where can I find the log file after it crashed?
[/quote]

I''m not sure about which engine is the best, but if we find out that another one is better than the actual one, then we are also going to update the WSI file Wink

About the log file: if you show the package contents of your wrapper (you can right click its file or right click it on Porting Kit Local list), you will find the Wineskin app. In the advanced tab, enable it to always make logs. Now, after a crash, you will be able to find it at Contents/Resources/Logs (inside the wrapper).

I might have found a fix!

It turns out this is likely the game''s fault, not wine. I''ve researched this a bit and found many more users with this problem (or similar with crashing during saves) on windows machines. The game is known to have these issues, it doesn''t seem that Ubi is going to anything about it (typical of them).

So I watched a little video and read some forum posts and found with a possible fix, basically force DirectX9 or 10:

1. Find Anno 1404 app (most likely in your applications folder). Right click it, select show package contents.
2. open drive_c folder
3. navigate users/Wineskin/ApplicationData/Ubisoft/Anno1404/Config and open the engine.ini file with textedit. (you might want to backup that file)
4. change the following line: <DirectXVersion>0</DirectXVersion> set the 0 in the middle to 9 or 10. This will force DirectX9 or 10. It is possible that only one works, try 9 first. I''m not sure if wine installed 9 or 10, hopefully both (@Vitormm do you know?) However the game is optimized for 10.

5. Additionally, the video I watched (not the forum posts) instructed me to change these lines as well (but it might not be necessary )

<EnableTextureMemoryManagement>1</EnableTextureMemoryManagement>
<EnableModelMemoryManagement>1</EnableModelMemoryManagement>

set both of the 1 in the middle to 0

Though the video says that it will give error messages in-game, but they aren''t real (they don''t affect anything). The only way to fix that is to download a patch and change more stuff and yada yada... That might be a bit complicated. But that only happens of you change those two lines.