Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mass Effect 1 Keyboard problem

Hi there

I am trying out PortingKit with Mass Effect 1 Steam version. I''m on OS X Macbook Pro. I tried starting the game, create a new character, went through the cutscenes, until I try to move Shepard using keyboard and none of the keyboard inputs work, except for Esc button. WASD, arrow keys, all the inventory shortcuts and all aren''t working. Mouse seems to work normally. And weirdly, I can use the arrow keys and enter key when I''m in the Main Menu.

Would anyone be able to share any ideas as to how this can be fixed?

Thanks!

Using the steam version or origin version?

[quote author=paulthetall link=topic=222.msg968#msg968 date=1467107607]
Using the steam version or origin version?
[/quote]
Steam version.
I''ve tried to delete the game from porting kit and re-add/re-install it several times. The same issue always happen. I''m able to proceed until I had to move Shepard, and I can''t. I can use my mouse to move the camera around, shoot the gun, I can use the keyboard for the Esc key to quit the game, but I can''t use other keys (A-Z).

When you go in potingkit (on the game "page") in llibrary --> local tab --> click more --> start wineskin --> screensettings, is the mac driver selectbox checked?

[quote author=paulthetall link=topic=222.msg993#msg993 date=1467775439]
When you go in potingkit (on the game "page") in llibrary --> local tab --> click more --> start wineskin --> screensettings, is the mac driver selectbox checked?
[/quote]
Yes, it is selected.
[Image: GTS9dJ8.png]

Additionally, during character creation, I had to type to name the character, and I can type using the A-Z keys normally.
It''s only when I''m already in-game and had to control the character, I can''t use any of the usable keys (WASD, all the inventory, quest, etc keys) beside Esc key, arrow keys, enter key, and ctrl to duck. I checked the settings in-game, all the keyboard settings are correct in the default settings. I tried to remap the key in settings, e.g. I press W for the W key, and it not changing anything like the key I just pressed are received as blank. But when I left click my mouse it correctly changed as left button mouse.

I also tried
- using a fairly PC standard logitech k200 usb keyboard and it''s the same result
- turning on capslock but still the same result...

Alright, then I need to take a look myself. Hold on a bit I will keep you updated here.

Thanks!! Hope it can be figured out. :''(

Hi Paul,

It''s been a while, have you hopefully had the time to look into this? I''m still wishing to be able to play the game using portingkit. ;D

Thanks so much.

Hey Sete!

Sorry for the late reply.
I checked just now a clean install of the game in the portingkit and here I can walk around just fine, played until I found the scientist (20 minutes play or something) without issues. The only thing I found is that in some of the conversations the speech falls away for parts....something to look at for me in the near future.

So I coudnt find other issues then that in the test I made on my intel Iris Imac. However, you can try some stuff though. If you change engine to cxg15.0.1 doing the following steps:

1. Download winery from here: http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-in...=Downloads
2. update it using update button.
3. click the "+" to download an engine and choose engine Winecxg15.0.1
4. go to portingkit select the game in your local library tab
5. Then click "more" --> start wineskin --> advanced --> tools -->change engine
6. Change engine to cxg15.0.1
7. Start the game again
8. let us know the results.

Hi Paul,

I couldn''t find the engine update with the exact same name as "Winecxg15.0.1", so I downloaded WS9WineCX15.0.1, is that the correct one?
I tried changing the engine used to that but still, can''t use the keyboard for play.

I''ve noticed tho'' that I can use my keyboard if I disable the "Use Mac Driver instead of X11". However, the game will go wonky if I receive a native Mac notification or if I alt-tab from the game window, so it''s not really usable. :''(

Thanks!